REC Network's petition for rulemaking was assigned a FCC rulemaking number RM-11846. REC proposes a rural non-commercial educational FM radio service. New stations could be proposed under a qualifying eligibility:
- The proposed community of service is outside the U.S. Census Bureau urbanized area.
- The area must have no other radio broadcast service licensed to it.
- Must meet the minimum NCE Class A station class (60 dBu contour of 6 km or greater, operate 250 watts or less, and operated on the reserved band of 88.1 - 91.9 FM).
- The prospective applicant would have to demonstrate no channels on the NCE band are available, but a channel is open that could be available with a second or third adjacent waiver.
- The proposed protected contour of the new station cannot place a service contour into an urbanized area.
Read more about the proposal here.